Sunday, May 23, 2010

Emily's Visit


I have finished my first two weeks here at NCAR and yesterday (Saturday) Emily came! It had actually been the longest that Emily and I had ever been apart since we started dating two and half years ago. It has been a lot of fun. We are already trying to figure out a way for her to come back next weekend - then the following weekend I will be flying to Utah to spend a few days!

Emily flew in yesterday morning and then took a shuttle from the airpot directly to the house that I am staying at. It was great to see her. I then packed up and we went to a hotel that we had booked on priceline. It was called the Millennium Harvest Hotel and it was a 3 star hotel. It ended up working great for us. We were able to relax! Because it was near downtown Boulder, we were able to walk to a couple places to eat. Part of the reason we wanted to get a hotel for a day was so we could have a pool to go to, but the pool ended up being under construction. It was sort of a bummer, but Emily and I were tired anyway because of the early morning flight and the long week, so we just took a little nap instead.

After we got to the hotel room we took off too the farmers market in downtown Boulder. Both Em and I love going to markets like this to try different foods. We ended up getting a homemade italian pizza with olive oil, rosemary, and fresh mozarella cheese. We also had and a mango smoothie. They were both really good, but sort of expensive. We hung out around the park for a little bit then headed back to our hotel.

Later that evening we went out to dinner near our hotel. After dinner we got groceries for breakfast and some snacks for Sunday. It was a really enjoyable day - very relaxing. We finished off the night by watching Food Inc. - a documentary about the food industry that we both thought was pretty interesting for the first 45 minutes but then it got boring and we turned it off. Then we watched a couple episodes of "The Office" until we fell asleep. Sarah and John have been very nice to me and gave me their username and password for their Netflix account so I have got a lot of use out of that. In fact, this past week I got hooked on a show that I had wanted to watch for awhile - 'Lost'. Last weekend when I was here all by myself I had spent a lot of time at Borders and walking around Boulder then in the evening I decided to watch the first episode of 'Lost.' For anyone that hasn't seen the show, it is a really intriguing show that has a lot of cliffhangers - which hook you and make you want to see what happens next. On top of that, I like all the characters and have gotten fairly invested. Anyways, on friday I finished the first season (fast forwarding a lot of the episodes) - I loved it.




This morning Emily and I had a really good breakfast. Em brought her homemade granola and had a tasty fruit and yogurt parfait with orange juice (pictured).

We then came back to Sarah and Johns house and borrowed their bikes to get to the local church service. We looked pretty funny in our church clothes riding our bikes, me with my pants tucked into my socks (even though I still ripped them) and Em in a skirt with shorts underneath and tennis shoes. Since church we had lunch and have been doing one of our favorite activities - watching the French Open. Even though we have different favorites (Nadal for me and Federer for Em) we still enjoy watching it together. We will probably go on a hike later today, and then have a picnic dinner in the park. We have had a great time together.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you two are getting to see each other. Sorry you have to be apart. What a cool opportunity for you, though!

    My friend said he'd called you to play tennis. When you get back, be sure to beat the pants off him. He's too cocky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys had such a fun visit. I'm really excited that you're into LOST too. I love having people to discuss it with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brad, your weekend sounds so fun! That cobblestone street looks super cool. Europe is almost as cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad Em could come, your weekend sounded awesome!

    ReplyDelete